Friday, April 20, 2007

Diagnosis...

is, in a word, BAD!
It turns out Onslow DOES have a torn cruciate ligament in his knee, meaning the knee joint is "unstable" and which is why he hasn't been able to put any weight on it.

That would have been a super easy fix, except for one other thing...The x-rays showed that he also has Degenerative bone disease in BOTH of his hips :(

We were told from day 1 that it was unknown what would happen. He responded well to the tablets initially which was great, but the bones could degenerate super quick, or just not degenerate at all, or be somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately his regular vet is the resident expert on this stuff and more importantly this breed, and he just happens to be away and wont be back until Thursday. So the vet we saw today didn't want to fix the cruciate ligament and risk doing more damage, so he has to remain confined for the next week or so.

So... looks like he will most likely be needing surgery to fix his hips, as I had already thought. I don't care how they fix him, just as long as they can!! Its horrible seeing him hobble and want to follow us around but not being physically able to.

Anyway I am exhausted!!!! At 4:00 he started to wake up from the anesthetic, so I jumped in the car, already dressed for going out later on, and raced to the vet. Got there at 4:45, chatted to the vet, had Onslow in the car by 5 and took off back home. Got home at 5:45, locked Onslow in the spare room with his bed and water and let Belle say a quick hello before I seperated them and took off. I left home at 5:55, thankfully there was no traffic going to the City and I got to the cinema carpark at 6:42 - Movie started at 6:45. However I had to race down the road to the shops to get some cash, then back up, ring Travis who came out to give me the ticket and then I got to finally go in and relax JUST as the movie started to boot up!

We got home around 9:30, and I cooked a delicious low fat Sticky date cake (although I might have to add some caramel to the recipe... it just needed *something* else) Put some candles on and mustered up just enough energy to sing happy birthday to Trav.

I think I will sleep well tonight!!!

2 comments:

Peta said...

aww hun sounds like you have had a bit of a full on day - happy brithday to Travis - and I really hope that they can fix Onslow up good as new!! {{HUG}} Give him a squeeze from me!

kate said...

awwww your poor puppy :(