Monday, January 30, 2006

Our poor boy!!!



well, we took Onslow (left) to see Dr. Rob Zammit (from Burkes Backyard) on Saturday to look at his limp / awkwardness . He is 10 months old now, and from the day we got him he has always been more awkward and gumpy compared to his sister. Anyway, at 6 months old our normal vet told us its most likely bones growing at different rates, or a muscle injury from playing rough, and not to do anything until he has finished growing (12 months).

Well, recently we have noticed his limp get worse, and that it was quite pronounced on his left leg. As he gets tired, his left legs starts to drag. Dr. Zammit took one look at him and said yep, he's got a big problem, he's in pain (never thought he was cos he always wags his tail and never cries out) and I want to x-ray him this afternoon, so we need to leave him over night. SO we had to then turn up on Sunday (he is not a local vet either, 40 minutes to get there) and we looked at the x-rays and he has Hip Dysplasia. Basically the "ball" part of the thigh bone isnt sitting in the hip socket and it is so bad in the left hip that surgery is really the only option. It is partially dysplased in the right hip.

hehee I love this photo.. it was of his first trip to the park when he was about 5 months old :) He loved it and kept running through the long grass like a mad-man! HE was covered in sticks and prickles :)

Anyway... so a hip replacement is out of the question (just a tad too expensive at $10,000 for two hips!!) so we have another surgical procedure to try (with a more "do"-able price tag), which the vet has had good results with previously. Hopefully we can get him in soon... we are going overseas in April so we need him to recovered enough that he doesnt need extra special care at that time.

While im posting pics, here he is as a little puppy. awwwwww he was such a cutie!!! and the runt of the litter.. he was a fair bit smaller than the female we got from the same litter.. he has passed her in both height and bulk now!! LOL He's a big boy :)

Speaking of pets, my black axolotl *finally* died on the weekend! She has been starving herself for months, was wasting away to nothing, and recently her tail fell off, and her back legs were starting to fall off (dont ask why or how!! it was sooo gross!!!) So now I have my yellow one left in the tank :) Might buy some goldfish for her to chase around.... Anyway thats my story! Will keep you updated on Onlsow and his operation :)

5 comments:

BethJ said...

Oh no Lisa - thats awful about Onslow!!! I am sure the operation will be a success!

Anonymous said...

oooh Lisa, they are so adorable, it is awful that one has a hip problem, I hope everything goes well with the operation. I have two dogs Major is the boy and Millie is the girl, and I just love them to pieces, so I feel for you. They are so loyal, no matter how I am feeling they are always in good spirits, and happy.

Good luck with everything.
Carole.

Anonymous said...

Lisa I hope you dont mind that I found your blog, I was so glad to hear you can come to Bowral.

You have the most beautiful dogs I hope Onslow will be ok, its always hard when something happens to them.

Looking forward to you telling us he is ok.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa I just heard you were coming to Bowral too. It is going to be so much fun!!

My first daughter was born with hip dysplasia. I did so much research on it at the time (about 5 years ago) and it is very common in dogs and first born females. So there you go! She was in plaster from chest to ankles with her legs in a "frog" like position, for 2 months. Worst 2 months of my life, but she just had her 5 yr check up and got the all clear.

Onslow will oe AOK I'm sure.

See you in Bpwral!!

Peta said...

Ohh Lisa he is adorable!! Hope the op goes well for him!!! {{HUG}}

and how cool a tv vet hehe