Thursday, June 29, 2006

NOOOOOOOO!

My DVD's apparently are corrupted!! The one with the pics is salvaged though cos the DVD player managed to read it somehow.. Travis thinks the DVD players aren't as sensitive to errors than the DVD roms on computers and thats why.. so we saved all the photos onto the DVD hard drive, last night we put them back onto another DVD.. BUT the entire file structure is lost AND now it has renamed them all generic names.. like the camera does. LOL SO I have 3,500 photos all jumbled and un-named... Geeze louise....thats causing me a headache just thinking about it!!!

As for my other corrupted disc, well that is the one that has my unflattened finished layouts on them. Travis got the first 500MB (out of nearly 3GB!!!) and saved that to the computer, but because the files are not JPEGS I can't rescue them - we tried copying them onto the DVD recorder. travis renamed them as JPEGS, even went as far to put DVD menu screens on it to make the DVD player think it was backing up a proper DVD... LOL That didnt work though! AND because I have been lazy and not bothering to print them for ages they are GOOOOOOOONE!! well, I have the scaled, low res web copies... so 2 lessons learnt for me:

1 - flatten and save as JPEGS... its not like I go back to change anything anyway, and my galleries have all the credits if I need to go back.

2 - PRINT THEM OUT!!! I wouldnt care if I lost them then cos I still have the hard copy.

AND I made a third back up disc with ALL my kits on it, and thankfully that is perfect :) SO I have the pics, and I have the kits so I can re-create the layouts I loved... I only have about 20 layouts unprinted and lost forever, and probably only 5 of those that I love enough to re-do a carbon copy of.

SO all is not lost, and it could have been much much worse.
Funny how I have been using photos off that corrupted disc since April.
All the pics I got off it those times were in the "family" folder.. the other night I was looking through the "plants" folder, so I guess the family stuff was in the first 500MB of uncorrupted files and thats why.

:)

1 comment:

Chris said...

Oh no Lisa all I can say is oh no not good hey not good at all! I'm glad you have been able to salvage some stuff.
{{{hugs}}}