Thursday, June 01, 2006

A panic, now an anxious wait...

I came home to find Onslow laying on the tiles in the sun room in a pool of vomit unable to move and whimpering and groaning.
When Travis got home we bundled onlsow into the car and ran him to the vet..
basically they think he has had a seizure or a fit of some sort, and by the time we got him to the vet he was floppy, snoring and basically in a comatose state.. the next 6-24 hours will be critical as they dont know why he had the seizure, or how big or if he has brain damage etc.. SO blood tests have been taken and we will know those results in a few hours... will keep you all posted..

EDITED about 15 minutes later.. we scoured the yard for foreign objects snakes etc... the dogs have dug up Jessie!!!! OMG im going to be sick :( :( :( (Jessie died about a month ago and we buried her in the yard)

Just as Travis ID'ed her remains in the yard, the vet rang.. dunno WHAT she was ringing for, but Travis told her we found jessies leg on his bed.. she said ooh that excplains it.. cos she was saying that whatever he had eaten had a lot of anesthetic in it, and thats why he was basically in a comatose state.. We had Jessie put down so they pumped her full of anesthetic.. funny I never thought it would still be effective after all this time. Anyway Onlsow is starting to wake up and be more alert now, but she did stress that he isn't out of the woods yet. They have put charcoal in his tummy to absorb whatever is left in there and done other bits and pieces which Travis couldnt follow.

Poor Travis s now armed with layers of gloves and plastic bags and going on a hunt to find the rest of Jessies remains. We are going to put her in the bin so it doesnt happen again. The weird thing is, a few days after we buried her, they were sniffing and scratching around the grave, but after a few days they lost interest. We had pavers over the top of the grave and they had not touched nor scraped away anything for a whole month.. what possesed them to suddenly do it now is beyond me.

Even though Onslow isnt cleared yet, and still classed as Critical, they said it was a good thing he is such a large and strong dog.. if he was a smaller breed it may have been an entirely different story at this stage.
OMG what a night this has been!!! First my horrible nightmare, now THIS!!! of all things...
I am keeping very close eye on Belle now.. lucky for her she doesnt really eat bones very quickly.. Onlsow usually steals hers after swallowing his.

ANOTHER EDIT - All that was left was the one back leg.. no wonder the poor boy was in a coma!! He has had so much anesthetic.. please send your thoughts our way to help him pull through... :(

4 comments:

Peta said...

OMGOSH Lisa - i feel sick reading all that - poor Jessie. Maybe it was that she had been their so long that she now started to smell "good" if you know what I mean.. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Onslow pulls through and that he is back to his good old self. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}} To you and Travis...

Chris said...

Gasp Lisa oh no I just read this over on SNF as your mum had told us all. I so hope Onslow pulls through fully. Poor Jessie oh my.

Huge hugs coming your way Lisa and Travis for everyone......{{{{HUGS}}}}

Anonymous said...

Oh my!!! I'm speechless, how awful for you all! Wishes to Onslow for a quick recovery and hope all is well soon.

Simple Digital Girl said...

I hope that things are looking up. I know how hard it can be! I really feel for you, I know what I know the fear I felt when we thought we would lose our dog.